Thursday, September 23, 2010

Grandma would be proud

So lately I have been in the mood to do some home made cooking. It all started when I stopped at a local farmers market one day and picked up a couple of BIG zucchini's for 50 cents each. I use to make some zucchini bread years ago. I got the recipe from a sister of one of my best friends. It is SOOOOO delicous, especially if you cut it after its been sitting awhile but its still warm...can I say YUMM!! Its even good with butter on it also.
Zucchini Bread
Fresh out of the oven

Still warm and the smell is heavenly


I have made 2 loaves so far, but 2 more is in the plans this week. I already stopped at the farmers market again and picked up 4 more. I am going to freeze the zucchini. I shredded the zucchini and let the water drain out of the strainer, then I measured out 2 cups and put them into a freezer quart size baggies. I am freezing them and around Thanksgiving or Christmas I'll pull out the baggie and let it thaw and cook some more yummy bread up. Maybe I can see a loaf being cooked when there is 3 feet of snow outside in a blizzard. (I am not even looking forward to the summer coming to an end but then I never am.)



Salsa

So my next project was to make some salsa. My mother-in-law made the best homemade salsa. Except I am going to make it alot less work, she would cook it in the oven (for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs ) .......and I particularly don't care for the vinegar smell in the house, so I am cooking it out on our Camp Chef Stove (one of the better investments we have ever made, every meal except 2 were cooked outside on it when we were up at our place in Idaho this summer).
So I started with a 1/2 a bushell of tomatoes. The picture already had some tomatoes taken out and put to boiling water to take the skins off.



Tomatoes waiting for their bath.....laugh



Red/Green peppers and onion cut up all ready to go into the mixture with the tomatoes.
The salsa cooking for 2 1/2 hrs
The smell was so inviting to both me and Kimberly


Batch 1



Batch 2

Me and Kimberly had alot of fun while making the salsa the first time that we decided to make another batch a couple days later. We want to make some pickles and some peach jam, we'll just have to see how the weather holds out while we do our other commitments (Nascar truck race the 25th of Sept for me, Scott and Shauna) and then (Kimberly is going out the 29th of Sept with Jon and Landon hunting for a week) so we'll just have to see what the calendar brings.
I think my mother-in-law Betty, would be proud of me and Kimberly making her salsa.
ALSO
I would like to thank my grandma who taught me how to can vegetables
.....it took me awhile to remember most of it but we figured out the rest along the way.










No comments:

Post a Comment